12/14/2010

It's Phlegmatic V. today.

Teaching, as a career, is so bi-polar. Or maybe I am.

One day you're so frustrated because you can't get a single student to understand one single, simple concept.

And in the next week, the students miraculously get it. The light bulb goes off. The Eureka! is screamed. The epiphany is had.

I have been preaching in my Comp. I classes all semester about certain concepts. And in 4 out of 5 essays, no one really got it. Until the last one. They all got it. They finally got it. Insert happy bootay dance. I'm not saying this to brag. But I feel like my students are a reflection of how well I teach; if they don't get it, I didn't teach it well enough. (Well, to some extent. I understand you can only give the information so many times until the responsibility of learning is transferred to the student).

And actually, as frustrating as these students were and as much "tough love" as I had to give them, I think I'll miss this group of students. I had one student say, "This has been a really fun class. I think I'll miss it."

Another girl gave me a Christmas card. (Turns out, she goes to church with me because I recognized the Saint on the card).

Another girl on her way out said, "See you for Comp. II!"

I still honestly don't know if this was supposed to be my vocation or not; I sort of haphazardly stumbled into it. But it's days like today that make me feel better about my choice.

So often though, I forget to say thanks in my prayers.

Lord, thank you for these kind and encouraging words from these students. Please give me the strength to continue teaching, and please give me encouragement if this is my vocation.



2 comments:

  1. Whether or not the world needs more teachers like you is between you and God - but the world does need more people like you.

    (Does that sound right? I was trying to allude to the fact that you're still discerning your vocation... I'm sure you're an excellent teacher.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get what you're saying. ;)

    ReplyDelete