3/09/2012

What I've Learned So Far This Lent


  • I re-read through all of my entires so far. I've done nothing but whine and complain about the same two boys on here for the past year. Why didn't anyone tell me to shut up? It's okay; I'm telling myself to shut up about it and get over it. I have much bigger things to worry about than why a boy doesn't or does like me. Like say, oh, I don't know, working my way into Heaven? No boy is going to do that for me. 
  • Letting go has been surprisingly easy. But I'm guessing that's if you don't count all the time leading up to lent. But seriously, it's like a burden has been lifted.
  • I had an a-ha moment the other day when reading a Catholic Single Girl Dating Guide. To paraphrase, "the physical intensity of the relationship should match the emotional intensity of the relationship." Seems like a no brainer, but whoa! No one has ever explained it to me like that before. Totally takes care of that awkward 3rd date, must kiss you good night thing and hopefully take you home thing. After three dates, I definitely am not that emotionally invested in a guy to kiss him, much less anything else. 
  • I made an internet friend who's Catholic. (Yes, it's come to making internet Catholic friends). He's recently brought up some very good points on free will which I've had a week to ponder, and I still need to ponder more. But it was basically another a-ha moment of sorts. 
  • I'm not buying the house, but we did work out a sweet deal where we get to rent it if this last potential buyer says no.
  • I've often thought I'm stuck out in the middle of Catholic nowhere for the simple fact that I'm supposed to provide a good Catholic example to my friends who aren't religious. And in fact, the other day, when talking about our trip to New Orleans, my friends suggested I go to confession in the traditional style confessional in New Orleans and go to mass. My not religious friends suggested this as something fun for us to do in New Orleans. And they also joke all the time that if anything ever goes wrong with me, "No penicillin. Call a priest." And I know they aren't poking fun; they're being sincere in a funny way. 
So, it hasn't really been a traditional type lent for me, but I'm amazed at the things I'm giving up. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment