2/23/2010

TechnoLogic (The Moral Way) (Pt. 2)

After going through and discerning fair use and copyright laws, I have arrived at the conclusion most of my DVDs, music, and some games are not kosher.

I literally almost cried last night when I realized that I'm going to be giving up A LOT of my favorite dvds that I WILL NEVER be able to afford. The X-Files is my FAVORITE, I mean FAVORITE TV show E-V-E-R. I have all 9 seasons of X-Files on dvd, but let's say they aren't legit. They took several days to attain and now, out they go. Just like that. That one really hurts because each season of the X-Files costs at least 50.00$ maybe 39$ used. :( I would rather pay the 50$ to know that I am getting a dvd that will work, so 50.00*9 = 450$ There's no way I can justify 450$ on dvds, even if I do know every episode by heart and would repeatedly watch the series 10 bajillion times over.

Another one of my favorites, Beauty and the Beast, has to be thrown out too. It's also not legit; this sucks too because Disney has put it in the vault. I can't buy this DVD again for another 5-7 years. That means I'll be 30ish if they choose to re-release this gem! And yet another movie I watch on a regular basis and know by heart, "Howl's Moving Castle" (which I believe might be out of print) has to be thrown away too.

Moreover, I've got a huge music collection from Japanese singer Ayumi Hamasaki. Every single and every album and every B-side she ever made. And out that goes, too. Again, I'll never be able to afford or justify buying legit versions as I'll have to import everything and it'll be around 25$ a cd or more if the cd is more rare.

On top of that, I still don't feel guilty for doing that stuff or for owning them or watching/listening to them. I still think record companies and dvd companies have been ripping the public off for years, and they deserve it. It literally costs maybe 2-3$ to make a dvd and encode it. The rest of that is all profit that goes to production values, actors, the studio execs. Irratating, to say the least, especially when it's so easy and affordable just to do it the immoral way. But, I'm not here to complain.

All this to say, I never really realized how attached to material items I could be! I can only hope God is pleased with all this because it really sucks!

Lord, give me strength to do your will.

3 comments:

  1. We have Beauty and the Beast on VHS. You can borrow it any time you want. The girls don't even watch it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or even better, they would find new interest in it if Mrs. Jordan came to watch it with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Deal! At least I would have some company who would watch the movie with me and enjoy it! Plus, I can only imagine the commentary Maria would provide!

    ReplyDelete