3/26/2010

Using the New Technology to Evangelize

I am a child of a generation who has always had a cell phone. I am a child who grew up with free reign over internet usage, chat rooms, television, and video games. I've seen the advent of e-mail, to chat rooms, to texting. In my job, I see textbooks becoming electronic and classrooms being conducted via the internet. Technology is an intergal part of my lifestyle, no matter how hard I try to remove myself from it.

The same is happening to a new generation of children as well. More and more, I see young children given play 'cell phones' just as we once gave young girls play 'babies.' Parents give their children pretend laptops and video game consoles, prepping them for later in life when they receive their first real cell phone, their first video game, and their first laptop.

Technology is invading our every aspect of life, and we shouldn't resist it but embrace it. Granted, if not closely watched and utilized in a temperate manner, technology can get quite out of hand and do more harm than good. However, I do believe there is much good that can come from technology as long as you use it and do not let it use you. (J constantly argues that all technology is bad. I've had fun presenting the following information to him and watching his reaction).

I am an apple mac/iPhone user. I love my iPhone. And while I don't have many apps on my iPhone, most of them are free and practical. I've got one program that scans barcodes of items at the grocery store and tells me if the item (say like printer ink) is available cheaper on the internet or at competitor's store in my area and for how much. I've got another that turns my phone into an electronic coupon that cashier's can scan while I'm at the grocery store checking out. But by far, my favorite are those apps that help me spiritually. Below are my favorites:

Catholic Mass Times: Using the faux GPS in the iPhone, this app finds where you are on a map, pulls up all possible Catholic churches in the area and gives you the mass times! Moreover, it brings up phone numbers, directions, and tells you whether or not the mass is in Latin or there are special services such as First Fridays or First Saturdays. Moreover, it gives you the readings for the day, and if your church is hip to the news, if it does a live broadcast of mass, then you can watch it from your phone with this app.

iBreviary: This app is great for those of us who forget to stick a prayer book in their purse some mornings. The iBreviary is exactly that - an electronic breviary. You've got the Office of readings, Lauds, Daytime, Vespers, and Compline prayers. You get daily mass readings as well as a listing of staple Catholic prayers (Ave Maria, Our Father, The Angelus, Hail Holy Queen, Magnificat, The Creed, Acts of Faith, Hope, Charity, Contrition, and the Consecration Prayer of the Brown Scapular). Moreover, if you're feeling frisky, you can change the vernacular from English (Spanish/Italian/French) to Latin. :)

iConfess: This is probably my most used app. Some weeks, I don't get a chance to spend a good hour reflecting on the week. This app is handy if you're driving, waiting for a table to get some lunch, or just where ever. It's just a simple tool to help a person examine his or her consciousness via The Ten Commandments, The Seven Deadly Sins, Sins against Heaven, Confession, the Holy Spirit, the Precepts of the Catholic Church, and Nine ways to be an accessory to other's sins. If I find myself pressed to go to confession, but I don't have an hour to spare, I can start with one tab, and the app lists several questions to ask myself. If I answer yes to anything, I hit the TAG button at the bottom of the screen. When I close the app, the number of topics I've tagged will come up in a red bubble reminding me, "hey you, get your butt to a booth!" When I open the app, it instantly displays what topics I tagged on the home screen, so I can quickly recall what sins I committed.

I'll post pictures in a bit of what these apps look like, but I think they're quite handy. They are all available the iTunes store (free) for less than 5.00. And while they are more expensive than most apps out there, if we use these apps to help us grow spiritually, then we are dealing with the eternal salvation of one's soul, and there's no price on that.

P.S. Upon further review, J is almost convinced to get an iPhone.

1 comment: