5/26/2010

Quick Takes on a Wednesday!

I know this blog is getting neglected again, but I've been packing the house up and purging of unneeded and unwanted things. Here are a select few things I've been mulling over for posts.

1. Why Every Good Catholic Should Watch Bones
Bones is a t.v. show in a CSI format from an intelligent viewpoint. The main character is an atheistic forensic anthropologist. The science behind the cases and anthropological details are quite sound (anthropology would have been my major had I thought I could hack it as an archeologist). Moreover though, the ever lovable FBI special agent, Seely Booth, is a hardcore Catholic. And while he does falter and sin, (which only makes him more lovable to see that he's being portrayed as a fully human character unlike many archetypal characters on this CSI shows), he vehemently defends the Faith, the Church, the Holy Father, the case for God, and God against the atheistic Temperence Brennan. And I think she's starting to crack. However, I am afraid that when the show ends, they will Hollywood-ize Booth's faith. We'll see. Oh, did I mention Booth is portrayed by David Boreanz? ANGEL!!!

2. Why Every Good Catholic Should Watch The X-Files
We all remember The X-Files. That creepy music. The weird rolling clouds with "The Truth is Out There" scribbled on them. The X-Files is a show that is fiction based in truth. And though they had different approaches, Mulder and Scully were both searching for one thing - Truth with a capital T. But, again, we see the whole Truth vs. Reason theme at work in the pairing of Mulder and Scully (which is where I'm pretty sure Bones pulled from since there are references to the X-Files in the show). Only in this show, Mulder, the alien conspiracy theory believer, the one who believes in seeing the unseen, can't believe in God. Scully, on the other hand, the hardcore empirical scientist, is a devout Catholic and defends her Faith in God to Mulder. The show in itself, is inherently a Catholic one. If you've never watched The X-Files before, all nine seasons are available for instant play via netflix. You can come over to my house and we'll have an X-Files Party! Glowing aliens and the whole bit. However, if you don't want to venture into sci-fi nerdom with me, you could always rent the latest X-Files movie, which is also inherently Catholic and a stand alone (meaning you don't need to know any of the mythos to watch it). Because as we all know, "The X-Files is still relevant!" [insert J rolling his eyes]

3. I've decided to rename J to Heathcliff.
This name is much more beneficial as it describes him pretty accurately. Heathcliff, in literature, was a brooding, dark, angsty young gypsy boy who grew up and turned into a bitter old man (but only because his true love was his heart and soul and she died, so he lost his heart and soul. Poor Heathcliff!) But in his younger years, he was quite a dashing and charming guy. Heathcliff is also the name to an antagonistic orange tabby cat.

No, seriously, Heathcliff is doing much better these days. And in effect, we're doing better as well. :) I thank God for it.

4. The Lost Finale was kind of sucky.
I watched the show for the first four seasons, and then, I quit because the writing was terrible and the plot holes were so gaping. The finale, tried to assert certain inherently and explicitly Christian values, but ultimately, in my opinion, failed to do so. Though I do applaud their attempt, political correctness and wishful thinking precluded their writing from having and transcendent meaning. I'll wait another few weeks before discussing this so as to give people time to watch it and not give away spoilers. Also, anyone notice how I'm a sucker for pop culture + Catholicism? I've always been that way for some reason.

5. Also, going back to number 1, why didn't I become an archeologist?
Oh right, I thought I wouldn't make any money. But I'm not making any money now and I would much rather be digging up bones and discovering than trying to convince Freshmen that yes, the comma really does go there, and yes, it really is important, and you really do need it.

6. Speaking of money, I get paid Friday.
I'm dying for my paycheck as my accounting section at my workplace decided to "re-schedule" for accounting reasons when us part-timers would get paid. So, where as I thought I would get paid in two weeks at the beginning of the month, I actually was waiting another month to get paid! Ouch. I'm really getting sick of macaroni and cheese. First thing when I get paid, I'm treating Heathcliff and I to a good hot meal.

7. My friend gave me some really good news.
Not news about me. Just good news. Sometimes, when you're having a crappy day (as I had been), good news like that is all you need to hear to continue to hope for the best.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad your friend was able to make your day a little better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends are awesome that way, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know why you didn't choose archeology---you had to choose English to meet J!!!!

    ReplyDelete