5/16/2011

Happy (Un)Anniversary

Today is a very special day.  In many, many ways.

Today is my parents anniversary, and they've been married for twenty-six years.  I've noticed lately that it's hard to find parents who are still married, and aside from my roommate and Heathcliff, I can't think of anyone else I know off the top of my head whose parents are still married (with the exclusion of Catholic couples, of course).

Today is also the day Heathcliff and I had first picked as our wedding date.  And then pushed it back a year. And another year. And then scrapped it altogether.

In Lewis Caroll's Through the Looking Glass, Alice learns from the Mad Hatter and the March Hare about un-birthdays.  (Many who read this entry can probably recall the Disney song). I'm a fan of un-birthdays. But today, I decided, is my un-anniversary.

Instead of sitting around and moping about "oh lonely me. I'll be single forever. I'm going to turn into bachelorette lonely English teacher crazy cat lady that my students will pity," I am focusing on what's good in life. I normally don't eat pizza during the week (that's usually for friends or Friday nights), but I am tonight. I am going to watch a movie with a girlfriend, talk about boys, and probably even bake brownies and then eat just a bite too much. I'm going to thank God for not letting me get married to the wrong guy and pray that He gives me the ability to see and hear Him when I do meet the right guy. I am going to praise God for everything good, give him my sorrows, and enjoy the gift of life He gave to me around twenty-five years ago.

Happy anniversary mum and dad (though they don't even know this blog exists). Here's to twenty five more, God willing.

And thank you Jesus for another good day.

Glory and praise to you Lord Jesus Christ.
Your will be done, not mine, O Lord. 

Less than 3,
V.

2 comments: