2/10/2012

Looking Ahead to Lent

Something is happening to me lately. I can't describe it.

It feels like a set of growing pains coming on. I'm actually excited for Lent.

I have tentatively figured out what I'm giving up; it's the same thing I tried to give up last year, and I got heavily distracted.

Dating. 

It's the biggest obstacle (besides that and my phlegmatic tendency to sleep 15 more minutes than do morning prayer and a few other things) between myself and God. Boys. distract. me.

Moreover, I don't know why, but the more I think about missionary life, the more I feel I want it. And it's not just as of late. The desire has always been there, but just when I get up enough courage to do something, some boy comes along, and I get distracted.

I stumbled across this site yesterday, Singles Serving Orphans, and for some reason, it just feels right. Like that is where I need to be to dip my toes in the water. Plus, the retreat is based on the writings of two people who speak to me very deeply - Pope JP II and Mother Teresa.

I don't know what it has been about my Nana's death, but there is some sort of fire under my butt now to love, love, love. To love everyone around me like that woman loved me, my brothers, her husband. To show Christ's love to the crack baby that survived and was adopted and is now having trouble remembering his spelling words. To show Christ's love despite the child who is a bully and overpowers little five year olds. To love like Christ the girl who goes around town trying to ruin my reputation because she's still upset about something that happened over a year ago. To love like Christ the ex-best-friend-now-acquaintance who's so vehemently and violently pro-choice. To love the boy who helped provided me with the greatest gift of all, becoming Catholic, even though he broke my heart.

Saint Therese of Liseux, pray for me.
Blessed Mother Teresa, pray for me.
Saint Veronica, pray for me. 
Holy Mary, pray for me.
Your will be done, O Lord, not mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment